WHAT INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT?
Personal information you disclose to us
Essentially: We collect personal information that you provide to us.
We collect personal information that you voluntarily provide to us when you register on the Site, express an interest in obtaining information about us or our Services when you participate in activities on the Site (such as leaving reviews, by posting messages in any forums or entering competitions, contests or giveaways) or otherwise when you contact us.
The personal information that we collect depends on the context of your interactions with us and the Site, the choices you make, and the Services and features you use. The personal information we collect may include the following:
Personal information provided by you
We collect names; phone numbers; email addresses; mailing addresses; usernames; passwords; billing addresses; debit/credit card numbers; account preferences, contact preferences; contact or authentication data; and other similar information.
All personal information that you provide to us must be true, complete, and accurate, and you must notify us of any changes to such personal information.
Information automatically collected
Essentially: Some information — such as your Internet Protocol (IP) address and/or browser and device characteristics — is collected automatically when you visit the Site.
We automatically collect certain information when you visit, use, or navigate the Site. This information does not reveal your specific identity (like your name or contact information) but may include device and usage information, such as your IP address, browser and device characteristics, operating system, language preferences, referring URLs, device name, country, location, information about how and when you use our Site and other technical information. This information is primarily needed to maintain the security and operation of our Site and for our internal analytics and reporting purposes.
Like many businesses, we also collect information through cookies and similar technologies.
The information we collect includes:
- Log and Usage Data. Log and usage data is service-related, diagnostic, usage, and performance information our servers automatically collect when you access or use our Site (whether as a Member or a non-registered user), which we record in log files. Depending on how you interact with us, this log data may include your IP address, device information, browser type, and settings, and information about your activity on the Site (such as the date/time stamps associated with your usage, pages, and files viewed, searches and other actions you take such as which features you use), device event information (such as system activity, error reports (sometimes called ‘crash dumps’) and hardware settings) and other statistics. We use this information to improve the functionality of the Site and create a user-friendly Service that’s tailored to the needs of our users.
- Device Data. We collect device data such as information about your computer, phone, tablet, or any other device you use to access the Site. Depending on the device used, this device data may include information such as your IP address (or proxy server), device and application identification numbers, location, browser type, hardware model Internet service provider and/or mobile carrier, operating system, and system configuration information.
- Location Data. We collect location data such as information about your device’s location, which can be either precise or imprecise. How much information we collect depends on the type and settings of the device you use to access the Site. For example, we may use GPS and other technologies to collect geolocation data that tells us your current location (based on your IP address). You can opt out of allowing us to collect this information either by refusing access to the information or by disabling your Location setting on your device. Note, however, that if you choose to opt out, you may not be able to use certain aspects of the Services.
Information collected from other sources
Essentially: We may collect limited data from public databases, marketing partners, and other outside sources.
In order to enhance our ability to provide relevant marketing, offers and services to you and update our records, we may obtain information about you from other sources, such as public databases, joint marketing partners, affiliate programs, data providers, as well as from other third parties. This information includes mailing addresses, job titles, email addresses, phone numbers, intent data (or user behavior data), Internet Protocol (IP) addresses, social media profiles, social media URLs, and custom profiles, for purposes of targeted advertising and event promotion.
HOW DO WE USE YOUR INFORMATION?
Essentially: We process your information for purposes based on legitimate business interests, the fulfillment of our contract with you, compliance with our legal obligations, and/or your consent.
We use personal information collected via our Site for a variety of business purposes. We process your personal information for these purposes in reliance on our legitimate business interests, in order to enter into or perform a contract with you, with your consent, and/or for compliance with our legal obligations. We collect information for one or more of the following purposes:
- To post testimonials. Discovery Sessions may post testimonials and reviews on the Site that may contain personal information. If you wish to update or delete your testimonial, please contact us by email and be sure to include your name, testimonial location, and contact information.
- To protect our Services. We may use your information as part of our efforts to keep our Site safe and secure (for example, for fraud monitoring and prevention).
- To enforce our Terms and policies for business purposes, to comply with legal and regulatory requirements, or in connection with our contract.
- To respond to legal requests and prevent harm. If we receive a subpoena or other legal request, we may need to inspect the data we hold to determine how to respond.
- To deliver and facilitate the delivery of services to the user. We may use your information to provide you with the requested service.
- To respond to user inquiries/offer support to users. We may use your information to respond to your inquiries and solve any potential issues you might have with the use of our Services.
- To send administrative information to you. We may use your personal information to send you product, service, and new feature information and/or information about changes to our Terms, conditions, and policies.
- To request feedback. We may use your information to request feedback and to contact you about your use of our Site.
- For Discovery Sessions email marketing. We may also use your personal information to reach out to you with Discovery Sessions newsletters, marketing or promotional materials, and other information that may be of interest to you. We will never spam you and send you an incessant amount of emails. You may opt out of these emails at any time. Please note that we may also use your personal information to contact you with information related to your use of the Service; you may not opt out of these notifications.
- To enable user-to-user communications. We may use your information in order to enable user-to-user communications with each user’s consent.
- To create and manage user accounts. We use the information we collect at registration to create your Discovery Sessions account and Discovery Sessions account profile page if these are necessary. Your Discovery Sessions account profile page may include your first and last name and your profile picture as well as other personal information you would like to include such as a biography and links to all your Listings. It is important that you include within your Listings only information that you are happy to be publically available as your profile information will be visible on the site and shared on third-party sites for promotional purposes. We may use your information for the purposes of managing our account and keeping it in working order.
- For Listings: If you are invited to create a Listing, we may publish the Content of that Listing publicly via the Site and may enable third parties to also publish the Listing on their websites.
- Fulfill and manage your orders. We may use your information to fulfill and manage your orders, payments, returns, and exchanges made through the Site.
- For data analysis. The information that you provide may be used to monitor Site usage in order to improve functionality and meet the needs of all users.
- Deliver targeted advertising to you. We may use your information to develop and display personalized content and advertising (and work with third parties who do so) tailored to your interests and/or location and to measure its effectiveness. To opt out of interest-based ads or find out more information, please visit www.youronlinechoices.eu, www.aboutads.info/choices and www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp.
- For other business purposes. We may use your information for other business purposes, such as data analysis, identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns, and evaluating and improving our Site, products, marketing, and your experience. We may use and store this information in aggregated and anonymized form so that it is not associated with individual end-users and does not include personal information. We will not use identifiable personal information without your consent.
WILL YOUR INFORMATION BE SHARED WITH ANYONE?
Essentially: We only share information with your consent, to comply with laws, to provide you with services, to protect your rights, or to fulfill business obligations.
We may process or share the data that we hold based on the following legal basis:
- Consent: We may process your data if you have given us specific consent to use your personal information for a specific purpose.
- Legitimate Interests: We may process your data when it is reasonably necessary to achieve our legitimate business interests.
- Performance of a Contract: Where we have entered into a contract with you, we may process your personal information to fulfill the terms of our contract.
- Legal Obligations: We may disclose your information where we are legally required to do so in order to comply with applicable law, governmental requests, a judicial proceeding, court order, or legal process such as in response to a court order or a subpoena (including in response to public authorities to meet national security or law enforcement requirements).
- Analysis: Log data and aggregated non-identifying information may be shared with third parties for the purpose of payment processing, customer service, demographic profile, and other relevant analytical processes. Your personal information shall not be included within such aggregated data sets.
- Service Delivery: We may enlist third-party entities for Site-related services such as maintenance, email distribution, web analytics, and data processing. These third parties will require access to your information to perform these tasks for us which benefit you and all users.
- Vital Interests: We may disclose your information where we believe it is necessary to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding potential violations of our policies, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the safety of any person and illegal activities, or as evidence in litigation in which we are involved.
More specifically, we may need to process your data or share your personal information in the following situations:
- Other Users. When you share personal information (for example, by posting comments, contributions, or other content to the Site) or otherwise interact with public areas of the Site, such personal information may be viewed by all users and may be publicly made available outside the Site in perpetuity. Similarly, other users will be able to view descriptions of your activity, communicate with you within our Site, and view your profile.
WHAT’S OUR STANCE ON THIRD-PARTY WEBSITES?
Essentially: We are not responsible for the safety of any information that you share with third-party providers who advertise but are not affiliated with our Site.
The Site may contain advertisements from third parties that are not affiliated with us and which may link to other websites, online services, or mobile applications.
HOW LONG DO WE KEEP YOUR INFORMATION?
When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your personal information, we will either delete or anonymize such information or, if this is not possible (for example, because your personal information has been stored in backup archives), then we will securely store your personal information and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible.
HOW DO WE KEEP YOUR INFORMATION SAFE?
Essentially: We aim to protect your personal information through a system of organizational and technical security measures.
We have implemented appropriate technical and organizational security measures designed to protect the security of any personal information we process. However, despite our safeguards and efforts to secure your information, no electronic transmission over the Internet or information storage technology can be guaranteed to be 100% secure, so we cannot promise or guarantee 100% that hackers, cybercriminals, or other unauthorized third parties will not be able to improperly collect, access, steal, or modify your information.
Users should be aware that we will never, under any circumstances request your Discovery Sessions account ID, login password, credit card information, or national identification numbers by email or telephone. We do our best to safeguard our user’s information and encourage you to do the same. “Phishing” and identity theft are rife on the internet and we are not big fans.
Although we will do our best to protect your personal information, transmission of personal information to and from our Site is at your own risk. You should only access the Site within a secure environment.
DO WE COLLECT INFORMATION FROM MINORS?
Essentially: We do not knowingly collect data from or market to children under 18 years of age.
We do not knowingly solicit data from or market to children under 18 years of age. By using the Site, you represent that you are at least 18 or that you are the parent or guardian of such a minor and consent to such minor dependent’s use of the Site. If we learn that personal information from users less than 18 years of age has been collected, we will deactivate the account and take reasonable measures to promptly delete such data from our records. If you become aware of any data we may have collected from children under the age of 18, please contact us by email.
WHAT ARE YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS?
Essentially: In some regions, such as the European Economic Area, you have rights that allow you greater access to and control over your personal information. You may review, change, or terminate your account at any time.
Your rights relating to your personal information include:
- The right to access the personal information we hold about you.
- The right to request the correction of inaccurate personal information we hold about you (this can also be done within your user account area).
- The right to request that we delete your data, or stop processing or collecting it.
- The right to stop direct marketing messages.
- The right to complain to your data protection regulator.
- The right to request that we transfer your data to you.
- The right to withdraw consent for any consent-based processing at any time.
In some regions (like the European Economic Area), you have certain rights under applicable data protection laws. These may include the right (i) to request access and obtain a copy of your personal information, (ii) to request rectification or erasure; (iii) to restrict the processing of your personal information; and (iv) if applicable, to data portability. In certain circumstances, you may also have the right to object to the processing of your personal information. To make such a request, please contact us by email. We will consider and act upon any request in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
If we are relying on your consent to process your personal information, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. Please note however that this will not affect the lawfulness of the processing before its withdrawal, nor will it affect the processing of your personal information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent.
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area and you believe we are unlawfully processing your personal information, you also have the right to complain to your local data protection supervisory authority. You can find their contact details here: http://ec.europa.eu/justice/data-protection/bodies/authorities/index_en.htm.
If you are a resident of Switzerland, the contact details for the data protection authorities are available here: https://www.edoeb.admin.ch/edoeb/en/home.html.
If you would at any time like to review or change the information in your account or terminate your account, you can:
- Log in to your account settings and update your user account.
Opting out of email marketing
You can unsubscribe from our marketing email list at any time by clicking on the unsubscribe link in the emails that we send. You will then be removed from the marketing email list — however, we may still communicate with you, for example, to send you service-related emails that are necessary for the administration and use of your user account, to respond to service requests, or for other non-marketing purposes.
Your rights with respect to your personal data
Right to be forgotten – Request to delete
If at any time an Inquirer discontinues their relationship with Discovery Sessions, the Inquirer can request for their personal data to be completely removed from our records. The same applies to Experts and all Site Users or Members.
All Members may update, review, or delete the personal information in their registration profile by contacting us by email or simply by editing their profile. If you ask us to delete your personal information, we will respect your request and delete your personal information, subject to certain exceptions provided by law, such as (but not limited to) the exercise by another consumer of his or her right to free speech, our compliance requirements resulting from a legal obligation or any processing that may be required to protect against illegal activities.
Right to be informed – Request to know
Depending on the circumstances, you have a right to know:
- Whether we collect and use your personal information.
- The categories of personal information that we collect.
- The purposes for which the collected personal information is used.
- Whether we sell your personal information to third parties.
- The categories of personal information that we sold or disclosed for a business purpose.
- The categories of third parties to whom the personal information was sold or disclosed for a business purpose.
- The business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling personal information.
In accordance with applicable law, we are not obligated to provide or delete consumer information that is de-identified in response to a consumer request or to re-identify individual data to verify a consumer request.
Right to Non-Discrimination for the Exercise of a Consumer’s Privacy Rights
We will not discriminate against you if you exercise your privacy rights.
Upon receiving your request, we will need to verify your identity to determine whether you are the same person for whom we have the information in our system. These verification efforts require us to ask you to provide information so that we can match it with the information you have previously provided us. For instance, depending on the type of request you submit, we may ask you to provide certain information so that we can match the information you provide with the information we already have on file, or we may contact you through a communication method (e.g. phone or email) that you have previously provided to us. We may also use other verification methods as the circumstances dictate.
We will only use the personal information provided in your request to verify your identity or authority to make the request. To the extent possible, we will avoid requesting additional information from you for the purposes of verification. If, however, if we cannot verify your identity from the information already maintained by us, we may request that you provide additional information for the purposes of verifying your identity, and for security or fraud prevention and tackling purposes. We will delete such additional information as soon as we finish verifying you.
Other privacy rights
- You may object to the processing of your personal data
- You may request correction of your personal data if it is incorrect or no longer relevant, or ask to restrict the processing of the data
- You can designate an authorized agent to make a request under the CCPA on your behalf. We may deny a request from an authorized agent who does not submit proof that they have been validly authorized to act on your behalf in accordance with the CCPA.
- You may request to opt out from future selling of your personal information to third parties. Upon receiving a request to opt out, we will act upon the request as soon as feasibly possible, but no later than 15 days from the date of the request submission.
DO WE MAKE UPDATES TO THIS NOTICE?
Essentially: Yes, we will update this notice as necessary to stay compliant with relevant laws.
Last updated January 29, 2024